Japanese Last Names and Meanings
Unique Japanese Last Names
- Abe (阿部) – A means peace while be means multiple times
- Beppu (別府) – Means Tree mountain
- Nakaya (マネージド) – Means arrow in the center, between the valley or in the center of the valley
- Aoki (青木) – Means Blue Tree
- Sakai (境) – Means Border or territory
- Wakabayashi (若林) – Means Young forest.
- Takao (高雄) – Means Bulky man or warrior.
- Shima (志麻) – Means Island
- Nishikawa (西川) – Means Western river.
- Masaki (真崎) – Means Correct or tree.
- Kato/Katō (加藤) – Means Increase and Wisteria. Wisteria flowers are blue and purple and bloom in the spring and early summer. Commonly found in China, Korea and Japan
- Hamasaki (浜崎) – Means Beach peninsula.
Japanese Name Necklace Custom
The products that QuoteClinic recommends are all hand-picked by our editorial staff. Any purchases you make after clicking one of these links could result in us earning a commission at no extra cost to you. Find out more about how we choose our products here.
Cool Japanese Last Names
- Fujii (藤井) – Means Well of wisteria.
- Chiba (千葉) – Means Thousand leaves.
- Aikawa (相河) – Ai means together or mutual, while kawa means river.
- Ebina (蝦名) – Means Shrimp and distinguished.
- Goda/Gōda (郷田) – Means Rice paddy or village rice paddy.
- Hagimoto (萩本) – Means Bush clover.
- Sawai (沢井) – Means Swamp well.
- Suzuki (鈴木) – Means Decayed/rotted tree.
- Doi (土肥) – Means Earth town, earth residence, or earth fertilizer.
- Fueki (笛木) – Means Wooden flute/pipe.
- Tachi (舘) – Means Palace or rise.
- Baishō (倍賞) – Means Double prize.
Popular Japanese LastNames
- Honda (誉田) – Means Root rice field, origin rice field, or honor rice field.
- Ishioka (石岡) – Means Stone mount/stone hill.
- Kikumoto (菊本) – Means Chrysanthemum book.
- Okazaki (岡崎) – Means Split rock.
- Ito (伊藤) – Means This or That One.
- Saito (斉藤) – Means Purity and worship.
- Yamamoto (山本) – Meaning: Base of the mountain.
- Yoshino (吉野) – Meaning: Lucky field.
- Yoshikawa (吉川) – Meaning: Lucky river.
- Yogi (ヨギ) – Meaning: Person who practices yoga.
- Yamaguchi (山口) – Meaning: The mouth of the mountain.
- Tanaka (田中) – Meaning: Center of the rice paddy.
Common Japanese Last-Names
- Abiko (アビコ) – Meaning: My grandson.
- Agawa (阿川) – Meaning: The corner of a river or a stream.
- Bando (発表) – Meaning: East of the slope.
- Sato (佐藤) – Meaning: Sugar.
- Takahashi (高橋) – Meaning: High bridge.
- Watanabe (渡辺) – Meaning: Patryonic name derived from the Watanabe clan.
- Kobayashi (小林) – Meaning: Small forest.
- Ando (安藤) – Meaning: Peaceful wisteria, peaceful east or pacify the east.
- Ageda (上田) – Meaning: Upper rice field.
- Baba (ばば) – Meaning: Horse-riding ground or race track.
- Bushida (ぶしだ) – Meaning: A Samurai, warrior, or warrior way.
- Chikafuji (ちかふじ) – Meaning: Near the wisteria.
- Chinen (知念) – Meaning: Feelings or a thousand years.
- Daigo (醍醐) – Meaning: Great realization or enlightenment.
- Eguchi (江口) – Meaning: The mouth of the river.
- Endō/Endoh/Endou (遠藤) – Meaning: A distant wisteria.
- Fukuda (福田) – Meaning: Lucky rice field, blessed rice paddy, or hope.
- Fukushima (福島) – Meaning: Fortune or blessed island.
- Furukawa (古川) – Meaning: Old river.
- Gato (ガト) – Meaning: Behind wisteria.
- Nakamura (中村) – Meaning: Middle village.
- Yoshida (吉田) – Meaning: Lucky ricefield.
- Yamada (山田) – Meaning: Mountain field or mountain rice paddy.
- Sasaki (佐々木) – Meaning: Assistant, help.
- Matsumoto (松本) – Meaning: Base of the pine tree.
- Inoue (井上) – Meaning: Above a well.
- Kimura (木村) – Meaning: Tree village.
- Arai (新井) – Meaning: New residence.
- Sugimoto (杉本) – Meaning: One who lives beneath the cedars.
- Fukumoto (福本) – Meaning: Blessed origin.
- Furuta (フルタ) – Meaning: Old rice paddy.
- Ahane (あはね) – Meaning: ‘Ah’ means ‘second’, ‘ha’ implies ‘waves’, and ‘ne’ translates into ‘roots’.
- Chisaka (狩り) – Meaning: One thousand hills
- Ejiri – Meaning: The letter ‘E’ means ‘the river’ and ‘jiri’ means ‘behind
- Fujiki (藤木) – Meaning: A tree where wisteria flower is grown
- Furuya (古屋) – Meaning: Ancient valley
Asian Last Names
- Cheng – To become
- Chong – Sublime
- Qiu – Autumn
- Peng – Mythical bird
- Shen – Spirit, deep thought
- Shi – Stone
- Wei – Power or pomp
- Xiong – Bear
- Yao – Born on a Thursday
- Zhu – Upright
- Wang – means prince
Japanese Last Names Meaning Moon
- Aruna: Other meanings aside from moon are love, nitrus, brilliant, dawn, crystalline reddish-brown
- Azuki: Other Meanings, large hill, blue encounter and can be given to a male or female.
- Hatsuki: It is a unisex name and has other meanings like leaf and wave
- Hazuki: Unisex name and also means spiral and spring
- Hisakata: Means Moon, Sky
- Hizuki: Aside from moon, it also means beautiful, sun, holly and light
Japanese Last-names Meaning Angel
SEO & Webdesign Specialist
N.J. Numfor is the founder of Quotesclinic, a blog about famous quotes on motivation, birthdays, love, friendship, marriage, relationship, attitudes, life, fitness, hard work and more. Also, I write about Home Remedies, How To, Technology etc... All the work I put in here is to motivate and inspire people to find their purpose in life.
Latest posts by N.J Numfor (see all)